The shipping “estimator” at Mouser.com is a little vague, so I thought I’d post the results of a recent order. In general, you’re not going to know the shipping cost or the weight of your order until after it’s shipped.
My recent order totaled $189.12 and had 33 line items, including all kids of components (resistors, capacitors, ICs, connectors, crystals, buttons, crimp terminals, etc), in quantities ranging from 2 to 250, primarily for assembling four Sanguinololu circuit boards (with some exceptions, plus some other stuff).
Selecting residential delivery via USPS to North Carolina, USA, the Mouser shipping estimator listed $6.95 for 1 pound and $9.60 for 2 pounds. I guess that the order wouldn’t weigh any more than 2 pounds. The actual invoiced shipping cost turned out to be $7.74.
Although the order was prepared the previous night, I didn’t remember to actually place it until just after 4:00 EST on January 25, 2012 — so I had just missed the same-day shipping cut-off time. The order shipped on January 26, and the credit charge (for the exact invoice amount) was posted on January 27.
The delivery tracking updates were as follows:
- Out for Delivery, January 28, 2012, 9:55 am, CHAPEL HILL, NC 27514
- Sorting Complete, January 28, 2012, 9:45 am, CHAPEL HILL, NC 27514
- Arrival at Post Office, January 28, 2012, 5:08 am, CHAPEL HILL, NC 27514
- Electronic Shipping Info Received, January 27, 2012
- Depart USPS Sort Facility, January 27, 2012, FORT WORTH, TX 76161
- Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility, January 26, 2012, 8:18 pm, FORT WORTH, TX 76161
- Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility, January 26, 2012, 7:03 pm, MANSFIELD, TX 76063